The types of personal information we collect
How we collect your personal information
We may collect your personal information in several ways: from you directly when you deal with us including via our websites, over the phone (e.g. where you speak to one of our agents), face-to-face (e.g. at one of our display apartments), by email and/or by you completing a form (e.g. on paper, on one of our websites or on an electronic device at one of our display apartments).
There may be instances where we collect personal information about you other than directly from you. Examples include:
• publically available information and databases;
• information from your landlord or tenant;
• information from your employer and/or referees nominated by you;
• credit information from credit reporting agencies;
• information from property agents and property valuers who may be involved in the services we provide or with whom you have discussed your interest in our developments; and
• information from market research companies contracted by us to assist in improving and/or marketing our services.
What we use your information for
• responding to your enquires and communicating with you, from time to time, to maintain contact and keep you updated on the developments and/or services you have expressed interest in or requested information about and providing you with market research and promotional materials such as reports, newsletters, event invitations and/or property information relating to our developments or rental opportunities, which we believe may be of interest to you (“direct marketing communications”);
• where you decide to purchase a property, undertaking the process of selling that property to you;
• where you decide to lease a property, undertaking the process of leasing that property to you:
• acting as an agent for the landlord in relation to the management, valuation or leasing of a property;
• understanding your individual profile as a user of our services, including your ability to meet your financial obligations;
• acting as an agent for a tenant in relation to the leasing or valuation of a property;
• acting as an agent for vendors or purchasers in relation to the sale of property;
• forecasting future needs for our services, improving our services and general quality assurance;
• engaging in legal proceedings and/or enforcing judgments and/or orders; and
• any other purposes identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
If you decide that you no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications from us you may use the unsubscribe facility in the marketing communication or contact us using the details noted under “Our contact details” below. We will stop using your personal information for direct marketing within 30 days of receiving your request to unsubscribe.
Disclosure of personal information
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. Such third parties include:
• third party service providers, contractors consultants, agents, credit reporting agencies and/or representatives (e.g. tradespersons, law firms, banks, financial institutions, insurers, IT providers and/or mortgage referral services providers) who provide services to us or on our behalf including to conduct valuations, market research, assist in obtaining payments from creditors and providing advice;
• media/marketing organisations for the purposes of promoting us or our services;
• anyone authorised by you to deal with us on your behalf;
• any of our related companies; and
• any other third party or parties identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
Where your personal information is disclosed to a third party in Australia, it will be handled according to that third party’s privacy practices. You should familiarise yourself with those third parties’ privacy policies.
We do not disclose your personal information to overseas recipients except to our [technology support and cloud provider] in Germany and the USA who may access your personal information to resolve a technical issues but who cannot extract/download any personal information from our systems. In addition, we use a customer relationship management (CRM) service provider whose data centres are located in the United States and Japan but they do not access your personal information.
We will not disclose your personal information to a third party for any other purpose, unless required or permitted by law or a court or tribunal order to do so.
Access, update and correction of personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information held by us about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we require you to advise us of any changes to your personal information. Some individuals are able to access their personal information via their online account that they have with us. If you are able to do this,, we request that you ensure this information is kept accurate, complete, relevant and up-to-date.
You may request access to your personal information at any time by contacting us using the details noted under “Our contact details” below, including for the purpose of correcting or updating that information. There is no charge for making such a request or providing you access to your personal information. We will respond and deal with your request within a reasonable period of time from the time it is made.
If we refuse to provide you access we will provide you with a written noticed that outlines the reasons for the refusal.
Security of personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, alteration and disclosure. However, our data protection measures are not a guarantee of the security of your personal information. You must also take care to protect your personal information. Please notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
Third party websites
What if you have a complaint?
Our contact details
For further information about the Privacy Act or to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner, please see the website of the OAIC at www.oaic.gov.au.